"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Sunday, January 31, 2010

drop-in


The best part of our entire weekend. A phone call from Mom and Dad on Friday morning to say that they were headed out on a trip that would bring them through our neck of the woods later that evening. Even better, a rare treat, they would spend the night and visit over breakfast the next morning before continuing east.


I can't tell you how much I love it when they come. It makes me want to crawl into the back seat and go too. I could visit and catch up with them forever.


And then I vow not to let so much time pass before I put the family in the car and make the trip to see them. I know that one day I will look up and wish I had done it more often. They aren't as far as they used to be and I ought to take advantage.



It's always funny to me how you really don't know what you've got until it's gone -- or it's at least farther away than it used to be. Mom and Dad always taught that no matter where we went in life, we would be able to stand on our own two feet. I would say "but I want to build a house right next to yours". And my father would say "No, Sugar, you go out into the world and make your own home." I'm glad they taught me that. Over the years it has enabled me to make the best out of wherever I've been. Can't say, though, that I wouldn't love to sit and partake of their company forever.


Their visits just lift my spirits. My grandfather would always say it was good to see folks come and it was good to see folks go. I've never yet felt that it was good to see these two go. I do love them so.

3 comments:

  1. They were coming to my house next, but I'm not there anymore :(

    How fun, to get to see them. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your parents are some of my favorite people in the world. When I would come to visit your family they made me feel like their life stopped so that they could spend time with me.

    I did feel quite lucky that I was able to persuade your dad to spend the night here last winter. He'd brought my dad & Unc Chuck to drop them off, but thought he'd drive for a couple of hours and then get a hotel. I counted it as quite a coup that I persuaded him to stay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to have those three at one time. I can only imagine the side splitting laughter, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete