"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Roost



Most days, there's only one other place I can think of that I'd rather be. In earlier years, my parents could only afford a picnic table in our breakfast nook and with nine children, it just made sense. Later, that picnic table graduated to become an island in the middle of our tight kitchen and in its' place, a proper dining table -- albeit in the same bench-seating style. The old picnic table sat smack in the middle of the kitchen for years where others would have considered it a hinderance. And yet, it served as a gathering place for all sorts of things. At times, littered with projects and homework. At others, covered in crafts anywhere from cake decorating to jam making. But most of the time, it sat surrounded by children, bantering and volleying for the attention of a mother busily mothering.

The years have passed and the old picnic table suffered the fate which all inanimate objects face when an impending move limits packing space. The bench-style dining table took over the new kitchen and with it the seats of now adult children who come to visit along with the grandchildren. It's a place I could spend all day, my mother's kitchen table, recollecting and remembering, retelling the same stories that have been told and retold again and again. Sadly, the visits seem too few and far between.

Nowadays, I have my own bench-style table. I find it quite regularly encircled about by children telling the day's adventures, slaving at homework and managing projects. Like chickens on a perch, they all nestle in and vie for the attention of THIS mother busily mothering. I wonder often if they will go away with stories to tell and memories to relive of the time they had here. It's my favorite place of all. A place to come home to, a place to roost.

And to my son Grant, your roost is always here ...




3 comments:

  1. YAY for blogging! Welcome to the "cool club". This is awesome because a)I'm the VERY FIRST COMMENTER EVER and b) slowly but surely each of my sibiligs is becoming a blogger. I LOVE your header. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the header. I'm coming to move in with you. I want to hold cats and shoot guns and pet frizzl-y chickens. And I second you on the kitchen table. What a great place.

    I'm excited to get to hear your writing voice regularly. Yeah! Thanks for doing this. (Because it's all for me, I know.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for your blog! I admire the commitment to take on one more thing in your life. Maybe one day I can follow in your footsteps.
    Question is: How much trouble did Grant get in??????

    ReplyDelete