"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, February 11, 2010

spelling bee II


Spelling Bee update:

Doesn't this girl make stressful competition look fun? 71 kids, a gymnasium full of expectant parents, teachers and school principals, all hoping to have a connection to the one and only individual who can walk out a winner.


And though she was not the winner last night, she's such a winner to us. She did everything right in our book. Took her time, asked for sentences, definitions, alternate pronunciations, origins -- even wrote imaginary words on her hands to envision and clarify the thoughts in her mind.

But, you just can't fight the English language. "I before E except after C or pronounced as an A as in neighbor and weigh" doesn't apply for omniscient. I know that I wouldn't have even been thinking about my spelling rules under that kind of pressure. And though Celia looked a little bit sick up there last night, and is so glad today to have the ordeal behind her, we sure enjoyed the spectator sport aspect.

I just feel sorry for the guy who had to spell mosquitoey. I grew up in a mosquitoey place and didn't even know that was a real word.

2 comments:

  1. Tell Celia that she must share a gene with her cousin CL--who is also a speller. I, on the other hand, lack the ability to spell even the most basic words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Cindy. Couldn't spell to save my life!

    ReplyDelete