"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Another year wiser


He's the love of my life and my very best friend.

And man, did these kids have a good time putting together a birthday party for their dad yesterday. As you get older, your needs just seem to get smaller and they had a ball wrapping his favorites, fruit stripe gum and vanillaroma car fresheners. He got a coupon book for back rubs and newspaper retrievals, and a made bed with a ginormous card:


His favorite homemade ice cream cake of all time (which turned at better than ever, I might add, thank you very much):


Another year older and wiser, here are the reasons we think he's the best:

  1. Mom: He works really hard to take care of our family. Nobody works harder and we mean nobody. And yet, as often as he can, he arranges schedules to be available for all of our "events" and to help out with getting our family where we need to be.
  2. Annie: He's the funniest and funnest guy we know. He's like a big kid who likes to play Nerf guns, monopoly, Lego's, helicopters and other games with us.
  3. Celia: I like our daddy/daughter outings to breakfast and when we go one on one to church activities.
  4. Janie: I love that Dad is always willing to sit and listen to our plays. He always makes sure to come in and say goodnight to me. He makes time for us.
  5. Christian: He and I get to go on an annual backpacking trip that is really cool. It's fun and we have a great time fishing and hanging out together. He comes to my ball games and yells. I know he's interested in what I'm doing.
  6. Grant: I love shared tractor rides, and he shared his birthday presents. He shares everything he has with me!
  7. And as for Eliza, I love to watch him take care of her. He's great at it. He might not feel manly as I gush over his ability to make our baby happy, but she adores him, reaches for him, and lights up when he enters the room.

Happy Birthday, Newel. You are #1 with us!


No comments:

Post a Comment