"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

last kids on the planet

My kids claim they are the last kids on the planet without cell phones. I'm betting this isn't true but they go to great lengths to convince me it is so.

Recently, in an effort to prove their worthiness, they all took empty caprisun pouches and turned them into cell phones. Numbers and screens drawn on the front, straw extended for good reception. They carried them around for days trying to convince us that they were responsible enough to deserve this.

While talking to one of my children, she said, "Hang on, I've got to get this" and pulled her caprisun/cell phone from her back pocket, pretended to abbriviate an otherwise lengthy call and then turned back to me. HUH?

On the way to an activity, another child poked a head up in the back seat and exclaimed "I forgot my cell phone, we've got to turn around!" YEAH.

And yesterday, my seven year old called me at 4:30, a time when I knew she was on the bus headed for home, to ask if she could get off at a random stop with a girl I've never met. "How are you calling me???" I asked. "I'm borrowing my friend so-and-so's cell phone." comes the little voice through the noise of a busload of kids finally free for the day. "Give her the phone back and stick with the plan." WHAT!?!

Why is it that I will make sure that my kids are the last kids on the planet with cell phones?

Thanks kids, for proving what I already knew, that you should stay kids for as long as you can.

2 comments:

  1. It's sad isn't it? When my son graduated from 8th grade only 2 other kids didn't have their own cell phones. Let me tell you now that he has one...I HATE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to hear the voice of reason from one who knows. I keep telling the kids that if they had what they most desired what would they have left to want - that's why I keep them deprived.

    ReplyDelete