"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, March 15, 2010

spontaneous roadtrip

This past weekend, I just needed a laugh. The kind that makes me feel like maybe, just maybe, I could be on my way to developing a six pack if only for a second. The best way to do that is to take a trip to my mother's and let all my sisters and brothers in the vicinity know I'm bringing my crew. It's usually a spontaneous act and only brings out a few sibs but being tired of winter's end, it was the antidote. The husband was on a business trip, the timing just seemed right and so I pulled the kids from school Thursday, loaded the wagon and ventured out on our eight hour round-trip mini-vaca.

I don't have problems pulling my kids from school for a single day on occasion. After all, it's only going to get harder as we get hooked more and more into high school sports and events, teenage jobs and the like. School is important and lasts a long time, but childhood is short and memories are for a lifetime. So, what's one day going to hurt? I'm not fond of deceit so rather than excusing ourselves for illness, I sent notes with the kids that we would be going out of town. Boy, did that rock the boat. Apparently the school would rather you said your children didn't "feel well".

It was ever so pleasant. I really enjoyed the visit and I'll write more thoughts on that later. But, I have to say that for the first time ever, my kids traveled well. Most of my road trips result in suppressing and urge to leave the backseat wrestle mania on the side of the road in remote Wyoming. Maybe they're getting older, but this time conversations were great, the jokes less disgusting and the older ones were semi-helpful -- even if they think it's funny to assure that everyone is back in the car following a bathroom break when they actually are not.

Who says road trips aren't educational? Things we learned on the journey:

Where cloudy days come from


And windy ones (thanks Grant for both insights)


That we love fields of cantaloupe (thank you Annie and Janie)


And that though we have racked our brains for a name to give our little haven in the woods (because our dad thinks it would be cool), we are just as glad not to be a part of the Butt family... because we would have to live at the Butt ranch.... with the rest of the Buttes. (Thank you Celia and Christian)


Apparently a formal education is more valuable than I thought.




2 comments:

  1. I am so not into playing the "excused absense" game. I've only had child #3 in public school for 3 years, so I don't know the ins and outs, but when well-meaning friends tried telling me what to do to get his absence excused I knew right then I wasn't doing it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I consolidated all of the time that my kids actually do work of an educational value at school, we probably could have finished that before we even hit north Denver!

    ReplyDelete