"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fool's

April Fool's. Not the most creative of holidays, I'd say. Actually, not my favorite either as it seems to give kids license to celebrate all things contrary to the teachings of a diligent parent.

BUT...

So full of memories because my mother, who dislikes April Fool's more than anyone I know, had a way of adding a heartwarming touch to the day.

One year, April 1st fell on a Monday and so for our family home evening treat, she made cool aid, sans the sugar of course. It was a good joke.

And none of us kids have ever forgotten the year she made chocolate covered cotton ball candy, along with actual peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate to ease the pain after the joke was played. Our dad walked right into the kitchen and popped a chocolate dipped cotton into his mouth, chewed for what seemed like forever, pronounced it pretty good and chased it with another. Oh, the peals of laughter and the teasing that has ensued over the years in memory of that occasion.

Best ever was the year I was in sixth grade. I sat eating my homemade lunch with friends and one bite told me this was not the ordinary sandwich. I opened it to discover a cardboard note stuck inside from my mom minus the bite I had just taken. My friends proclaimed her queen of all April fools.

Kids can play mean tricks and the teasing can be embarrassing on this day of days. But, if you can't beat them, join them the saying says, only make sure you give them a reason to smile. And so, following mom's loving lead, April Fool's kids...


Nothing original but know that amid all the trickery, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment