"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, April 26, 2010

Boxed badness

I have a friend with a daughter the same age as one of my own. For a birthday gift one year, she brought my girl a game full of fake fingernails for five players. It was the sort of present that caused me to spend the next year of my life cursing the nail game pieces and the name of my friend.

For her daughter's birthday, I sent a Costco size box of stickers.

The next year for my daughter's birthday, her little friend arrived bearing a cute little birdhouse kit. The kind that requires a parent to assemble and hand hold every step of the way. There were tears, there was hair pulling, there were more curses.

For her daughter's birthday, I sent along a very simple "learn to knit a scarf in a day" kit.

Before getting into Lite-Brites, Playdough mega packs, and tie die kits, we decided to call a truce.

I love a man who will go out and get birthday gifts for his children. You can't knock that because it's a really rare and valuable quality in a father. But, I guess anyone can be suckered because ...


There are some things that should never be gifted and though Janie was thrilled with this one from her dad, I'm still not sure who agreed to market brightly colored packing peanuts as an actual gift. All I can say is, he wins ... he wins. And I'll be cursing his name for the next little while.


No comments:

Post a Comment