"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Icing on the cake

The icing on the cake this passed weekend was definitely General Conference on Easter Sunday. It was the perfect touch. I always feel like there is a generalized theme, ... or maybe I'm simply impressed by what is relevant to me. And this time around just seemed about ways to be so much better at strengthening our families. It's the boost I really needed and this week, I seem to have a dose of the post-conference blues. Those inspiring words just seem too far between.

AND, between sessions I made Grandma Great's wet coconut cake with my girls and it turned out beautifully. Our loving husband and father did say that we lost points because we failed to make it in the shape of a rabbit, but I felt that might be desecrating the memory of my deceased grandmother.

It added a special touch to have something of hers there for Easter.


Grandma Great's Wet Coconut Cake

1 boxed yellow cake (butter recipe is best)
Bake in two 9" rounds (or three)
cool completely

Heat in a saucepan 2 cups of water with 3 cups of sugar to make a syrup
In a separate bowl: Beat three egg whites to stiff
Add 1 tsp almond flavoring
Stream the syrup into egg whites while beating

Put first layer cake on a plate and poke holes with a fork
ice with the above syrup/egg white mixture
layer with 1/2 bag of sweetened coconut

Add second layer of cake
ice with remaining mixture
sprinkle with coconut

So rich, I could only eat this once a year and it's probably best to starve myself of all sugar for a week before having a slice so that the overload is euphoric. But still, a beautiful combination -- Grandmama's cake and uplifting messages. Definitely the icing of our weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment