"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Decisions, decisions

I've had some pretty big decisions to make recently. Not the short term sort like which color to paint the living room, but the sort that determine whether your children turn left or right. The details aren't really so important as the process to making the hard decisions.

Plan A might feel great and Plan B might be good too. Maybe I like Plan A because it's comfortable, maybe it's safe, maybe it only "seems" right because it's what I want. And isn't what I want always right anyway -- because, after all, it is what I want?

And round and round the mulberry bush it goes.

But, recently the thought occured to me.


Back in October of last year, Janie grew tired of missing out on all of the tooth fairy fun. It'd been awhile for her and being a "make it happen" sort of gal, she started wiggling her very not loose front teeth until she had forced those front teeth right out. I didn't learn any of this until too late -- observant, I know.

It's been almost eight months and finally those new teeth are starting to grow in.


Decision making is like that. I'd like to force some paths to be the right ones. It feels comforting to do what I want to do. Or should I really feel out the correct answer because if I force things to happen in certain directions it just might hurt my growth. Like Janie's teeth, I might be stunted by pushing my will rather than praying my heart out. Taking some time, searching it out, feeling inspired ... I might just become a little bit more by trusting in the peace I feel toward the end I can't see.

I'm a little bit frustrated with not having the right answer, right now ... BUT...

I guess that's why faith is having a hope in the things we don't know. It only makes us stronger and helps us grow the way were were intended. Patience, trust and time build divine characteristics -- "teeth" that need to grow and develop along an inspired path. And answers will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment