"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Friday, May 7, 2010

Mother's Day.


"Don't peek, Mom" I keep hearing at every turn. "What are we going to get Mom for Mother's day?" There's hiding and sneaking, whispers and secrets. And it's really all so unnecessary.

They could ask me. And what would it be that I'd want? Would it be flowers? Would it be breakfast in bed as I rest on my backside? Would it be a shiny new toaster to sit on my counter reminding me day after day of my call to mothering?

I'd like dishes that do themselves. I'd like laundry magically put away neatly folded in drawers. I'd like loving words and kindly playing. I'd like time. Time to sit and watch their happy faces engaged in an activity. Time to dust off the board games. Time to read a good book to them without the nagging thoughts in the back of my head of lists undone. Time spent together on our knees putting seeds in the soil of a garden. Time made possible by caring hands. Time holding still for just one moment to soak it all in. I'd like a sharp ear and a quick response. A one time asking and a quick hop-to. Bathrooms cleaned, kitchen floors scrubbed, a car emptied of it's massive amounts of trash. I'd like agree ability, I'd like dependability. And last but not least, service with a smile.

It's like asking for the moon.

"Who would want that??" they'd whine. "Not nearly as cool as a toaster."

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh....but a mom's gotta have a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, my favorite mother's day was spent with my sisters in Kentucky. Away from my children. Love them as I do - the "let's give mom attention" attitude of mother's day drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Post note. It's been the kind of mother's day that makes me wonder who they are talking about up there at the podium at church cuz that ain't me. I'm the harpie mom with talons and black wings ... apparently.

    ReplyDelete