"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, May 3, 2010

what promises do you make?

I mentioned that eight is a big year. Reason being, this week, Janie is going to be baptized a member of our church. Grandparents will be arriving for her special occasion. It's a big deal.

(thanks for making her feel special, Primary Teacher!)

And for those that don't know, before her baptism she has an interview with our ecclesiastical authority to determine her readiness. He'll ask her if she understands the promises she's making and what they are. She'll talk about some of the things she's learned along the way to becoming accountable.

If baptism represents accountability, a mother's job is to make sure a child is learning all they need to know to be prepared to accept responsibility for the mistakes they will make along this path called life. That makes my job huge. And with each child's approaching baptism, I always find myself reflecting -- am I teaching enough? Not that the teaching and learning ever ends, it's just that this particular milestone always makes me think.

Recently, while driving to and fro between lessons, I thought I'd do a little interview of my own. You see, as her mother, all of this time I've been teaching and wondering how much is sticking in there.

"Hey, Janie," I began, "your interview with the bishop is coming soon. Do you feel ready?" Car time is always excellent for discussions with my children.

"I think so." came the reply from the back seat.

"You know, he's going to ask you some questions like 'Do you know what promises you make at baptism?' do you think you can answer that?" I ventured.

"Sure," came the little voice from the backseat of the car, "I promise to be good .... and not to fight .... and ... to stop practicing witchcraft."

I choked and nearly drove off the road.

And you've gotta love Celia, my co-pilot, who leaned over and said "Mom, I suspect you ought to be ready for an ecclesiastical interview of your own." Thanks, Celia.

While we're on the subject of accountability, let me be clear... I have never had any lessons, talks or discussions in my home regarding witchcraft. I'm just sayin'.




2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! I am seriously laughing out loud!!! And I can't wait to hear the rest of the story, when you figure it out!

    ReplyDelete