"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, May 6, 2010

What's it worth?

So tired of school fundraisers promoting cheaply made Chinese garbage.

Our's held a jump-rope-a-thon and so I did my duty and put our usual five dollars in five separate envelopes for each school age child to donate. I have to spread the love and each fundraiser gets the same donation per child so by the end of the year, we feel we really did do our part.

But five wasn't enough to be given the cheaply trumped prizes that ten and twenty got.

I picked this boy up from school and he slumped into the back seat of my car. "How was your day?" I asked typically. "Not good," came the answer and then the tears. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"I tried really hard to be good today and I guess I just wasn't good enough because I didn't get a prize at the end of class like all of the other kids."

Talk about frustration. And try explaining sneaky motivational tactics to a kindergartner. So, this is how we spent our afternoon ... no matter how much I assured him that his goodness is unparalleled.


Nearly broke my heart. Is fundraising worth this? No. And that's my soapbox for today.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Marlowe, that lip just kills me! Poor baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just HATE fundraising. And I LOVE that lip!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started telling my kids no. It was ok when they had one or two little things a year, but this year, they had the "voluntary - your child will not get any field trips" money, the library refurbishing money, the christmas wrapping paper (who knows what that was funding) money, the cookie dough selling contest money AND the "pay your kid to run around the track" money. Come ON!!!!! AND to top it all off, they are now pulling out our perfectly fine playground equipment and putting in finer, bigger more wonderful equipment for our kids. I really feel as if I am paying for something they don't even NEED!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you. With all of these fundraisers, I'd like to know why our district will be charging $1 a day per child for the school bus. But that's a whole 'nother soap box entirely.

    ReplyDelete