"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Why I blog

I love to read other people's "reasons why I blog" posts. It gives me a lot of perspective. I think when one begins blogging, they worry about painting a picture of life so much more fulfilling or perfect than it really is. Some blog to remember, some blog because it's cathartic to have an outlet to thoughts, other's blog to keep in touch with extended family.

I started blogging for some of those reasons as well as to have a place to keep our stories and pictures all together in one spot. But, reasons change and here's why I blog now.


Recently my ten year old daughter had a very difficult day at school. She's just wrapping up the year with a teacher who is self-admittedly "direct" and that can be hard to take on a day in and day out basis. And this particular day had been full of that knot-in-the pit-of your-stomach-directness.


Annie was in computer lab with a couple of her dear friends and having the freedom to utilize the computers, she pulled up our blog to show them. There they sat, reading the stories and looking at the pictures. That afternoon she told me how nice it was to have that moment in the middle of her really hard day to just feel like she was home for a second. The knot loosened and she just breathed it all in and felt a little calmer to be able to feel close to us.


Yes, I blog because I love the journal keeping. Yes, I blog because it's cathartic to write stuff down. And yes, I will look back and say "Hey, that was us .. the good and the bad!" But really, I love that anywhere my children may ever go, there's nowhere far enough that they can't come home for just a little while. Breathe it in and feel the safety of what it means to be a family.


Wherever you go, you're still one of us.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I LOVE this & am kinda bummed that your daughter doesn't have a less intense teacher. I'm a new teacher & although I don't have classroom management down (at all!) I hope my students feel safe and comfortable and calm in my classroom. Anyways, just found your blog & am loving it already...your new fan in California, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! I bet you are a great teacher -- a little love always goes a long way :)

    ReplyDelete