"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Friday, June 11, 2010

Welcome to the beach

As kids, my parents weren't big on entertaining us in grand style. I think they were always afraid that overblown activities might cast a shadow on the important things in life. Nothing should take the shine off of the simple stuff.

For instance, they wanted going to church to not only be spiritually uplifting but also the most exciting social occasion of the week. Therefore, we really didn't do any contrived mega playgroups or scheduled play dates -- but then with so many kids there wasn't much need.

An ice cream cone from a fast food restaurant following a winning baseball game was always really special because we could all count on one thumb how many times we'd eaten out, ever.

A necessary drive across country was cause for excitement. Looking out the window, taking in our country's sites and landmarks. And so, a cruise, a resort, a ski trip, a south pacific destination vacation would have been completely unheard of.

But when my grandfather on my mother's side passed, my grandmother (who had also been raising her children in the town of Hartsville) up and moved to the coastal beach of South Carolina. She bought a house in Litchfield and we always relished a trip down to see her there.


It became the Taj Mahal to us. There was never any need for water parks, or fancy seafood restaurants. No carousel rides at the Pavilion, movies, minigolf or deep sea fishing excursions. The simplicity of the beach was entirely magical. A place where time stood still and the memories of life spoke volumes.



5 comments:

  1. Amen and Amen. I do so love the canals!! (You know that Russ & I spent our honeymoon there, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember that now that you mention it! Newel and I did too and it's been years since we've been back here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that photo of sunset over the marsh just makes me ache.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes. Thanks for that. I'm all better now.

    ReplyDelete