"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

I've tried my hand at a lot of things. It started with ballet which I spent much of my life doing while living in my parents house. Then some drama classes and plays, all different genres of dance from clogging to folk, piano and a random karate class thrown in for good measure. There was learning to sew because my mother made it look so easy and the outcome so fabulous. I've tried smocking, crochet, knitting, cross stitching and french knotting. I like to decorate my home -- painting, sewing, and reupholstering great bargains. I've cut my kids hair, I've gardened, I've canned, I've scrapbooked. I've learned to make jam, bake bread, and raise chickens. I'm learning about photography and jewelry making with my girls. I see something great and really just want to try it. I'm a dabbler.

Some things I like, some things I'm okay at, some things I've shelved for good and some I keep pulling out to give another whirl. But there's one thing I always wanted to do, I've loved since the beginning and pick up each day with full satisfaction.

There's never been anything to compare to being a mom.


And this is the man who makes it all possible. I've been reflecting on that this week.

Without him, there wouldn't be any little people to mother. I wouldn't have an assistant. I wouldn't have a best friend to bounce all of my "whole lotta nothingness" off of. Who would help me come up with solutions? He's made it possible for me to stay at home with our children which I know is a luxury not every mom has. And he helps me be better than I am in so many ways. I'm grateful for fathers because without them, mother's couldn't be mothers and he has afforded me the most rewarding experience of my life. The one "thing" I've loved among all that I've tried -- the experience of motherhood.


Happy Father's day, Newel. I do so love you.

(and by the way, I broke your weed wacker)

2 comments:

  1. Ok-I've been laughing all morning over this one. Such a sweet post to the man you love, but tell me, did all the sweet talk work to soften him up over the weed wacker? If it did I may have to use the same tactic on my husband.
    Happy Fathers Day Newel!!
    We women are so lucky to have such hard working men who make it possible for us to be at home doing the thing we love best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, this doesn't work but it never hurts to try!

    ReplyDelete