"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Friday, June 25, 2010

Making it look easy

There are certain women in this world that I just click with. I mean, it's like we really were meant to be sisters but there just wasn't enough room in my heap of a wholelotta family to hold all of the gals that were cut out of the same fabric as I was.

And sometimes, but only sometimes, there are women that I feel like I have to break the ice with every time we get together in order to get back to that comfortably companionable feeling we left off with the last time we visited. It does eventually come around, but I catch myself wondering why there has to be this "sizing up" dance before being able to just sit and talk about life.

I think that's why I love, love, love that no matter where we go or who we go with, my children find instant friends.

Take today for instance. We head to the park, my daughter spies a girl her age, she marches over, they invent a game ... and by the time I'm ready to leave, I feel so darn guilty that I'm pulling her away from her new "bestest-friend-in-the-whole-entire-world-for-this-moment-in time-though-we'll-make-another-one-at-our-next-stop".

Wouldn't it be nice if it were all so uncomplicated? I just love that quality in my children. To be able to open up so entirely freely with no notice whatsoever. To find connections with people and feel bonded after only a short amount of time. I know we try to teach children to be wary of strangers, but I love how innocence makes friendship so easy. It tells me that my children are completely confident in themselves.


And I'm so glad when they get attached to really great kids who are cut out of the same fabric as they are. These guys are the best and though our visits with one another have been so few and far between, it's nice to have friends that can just pick up where we left off.


I do enjoy great friends.





Until the next time...


We'll miss you.

1 comment:

  1. I thought that was just my kids who did that! We went to a wedding in colorado when CL was 5. We were there for 2 days, and when we left CL cried buckets that she would never see her (new) best friend again. Another time she met a "best friend" in a fabric store. How long could we have been there? Sure, it was a fabric store, but we couldn't have been there more than an hour or two! She talked about the fabric store friend for hours...

    ReplyDelete