"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Teachers let the monkeys out

Wow ... did I go off the grid?? Yes, and more on that later.


I can't move on without the end of school wrap up. Life got crazy. It's usually crazy but this time I mean cray--Z. I could hardly catch my breath. It was like one of those twirl-a-whirls that make you want to throw up, I kid you not.


But we did it -- checking one thing off after another -- and there's a whole new world ahead of us. Freedom.


I thought I had all of my bases covered until I bolted upright in the dark of that last morning of school, realizing I had forgotten end of the year teacher gifts. I usually take in warm whole wheat bread and homemade jam to say thank you but this year had to settle for a plant. Disappointing, I know.


But someone thought it was a good idea to have a kindergarten graduation, fifth grade continuation, a parent BBQ, a 4th grade poetry cafe, and 2nd grade fairytale theater all involving active parent participation within the same final day. So much for my final day.


I did so enjoy watching Grant wrap up his kindergarten year. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I loved picking him up every afternoon. I loved getting that one on one with him daily. At it's over. He'll no longer be singularly mine for a portion of the day. I'll miss that so much.


Every single day he'd get into my car and proudly announce that he'd had a green day meaning that his clip hadn't moved to yellow for one warning and red for more. Cleaning out his homework folder one afternoon, I was concerned that a page containing pictures of the earth with the moon on varying sides asking to mark whether it was morning or night, was merely colored completely green. His teacher -- Mrs. Goody (That's right. And with a name like that how could you grow up to be anything but a kindergarten teacher?) had put a question mark on the page asking if he hadn't understood the instructions. I questioned him on this and he announced he did understand -- he just wanted everyone to have a green day.

Grant, you are my "green day".


School's out, school's out, the teachers let the monkeys out.

No comments:

Post a Comment