"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, June 14, 2010

To be a southern belle

A word about this woman.


She epitomizes southern charm and grace. My grandmother (my mother's mother) was once called Mama by us youngun's back when there were only five or so. Then with the passing of Papa, she put it all away and became "Grand Janie". And Grand she is.

She dresses for dinner which is served on Waterford crystal. I swung by for a one on one during "supper" and she was having a homemade shrimp salad. Who does that? She does.

She's active as all get out. From serving on the board of her Lion's club, building houses for Habitat for Humanity, golf and tour guiding for the local garden's -- she's not going to sit still.

And she remembers everything. Newel was deeply immersed in conversation with GJ and she was so perfectly polite as she asked about each of his family members by name. Again, who does that?

This woman has the perfect hand at gardening, entertaining, cooking and all social graces. And, we got to meet her boyfriend, too, because she's a catch.

Not to mention she can walk into almost any great seafood restaurant and be on a first name basis with the owner and head chef.

I've always thought I'd love nothing more than to be perfectly polished, to be so full of poise. My Grand Janie is a prime example of what every southern belle ought to be.

And I have a long way to go. Love you, GJ!

1 comment:

  1. You take beautiful pictures Marlowe! I really enjoy your blog. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete