"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Friday, June 18, 2010

To my Dad

"A daddy is a man who has pictures of his children in his wallet where his money used to be."

With Father's day approaching, I had to write about my dad.


Spring approaches and along with it rain and fresh green grass. And that day of the first cutting, the smell of green grass hangs in the air all day. I'm reminded of my dad. Then, the frosts are over and it's time to till the garden soil. The dirt is turned and the earthen scent hangs heavily waiting for seeds to spring to life. I'm reminded of my dad. The air turns crisp and leafs color and fall. Blue skies seem a contrast to the chill and my brain instantly thinks "Ah, football season is here". I'm reminded of my dad. I feel him in the seasons around me.

Teaching his children has always been of the utmost importance to him. We learned to work, we learned to play, we learned to get along, we learned to value family. He taught that our mother was the most important person in his life. He taught that we should know and value where we came from. He taught that everything should point toward Christ and his gospel. I can't remember a moment that wasn't a teaching one.

He made time. Time for a snowball fight or a story before bed. Time for a baseball game in the yard or long trip over to scout camp for a quick visit. Time for a drive to the quietest look out point in the vicinity to reflect, time for cheering at a game or recital. Time for a cross country drive and unload at college ensuring all was properly settled, time for a phone call and words of advice no matter what the time.

I hear him in my head so often. The things he would do, the things he would say. He's always there with me. And I'm reminded of a cross stitch still hanging on his wall, made by little hands so many years ago and the truthfulness of it's saying, "Any Man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a Daddy!"

Happy Father's day, Dad! I am so very glad of every privileged moment spent in your family. I love you.



1 comment:

  1. Awww...you do have a great dad. And when I was about 12 I thought he was the cutest dad, too!

    ReplyDelete