"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Weekend tidbits

This is a combined post, because I can't really have one without the other.

Scout camp -- the one that sent me into labor last year earlier than expected. Another year older and these boys are now 11 year old scouts and it was my privilege to be served dinner by them in their camp last night.

Why do I love scouting? Yes, good things are learned like how to build fires, sharpen knives and shoot a bow and arrow. But aside from all that, when I discovered that my boy learned to do this at scouts, you can bet I put him to work.


The best thing about eleven year old scouts is that they don't think everything is dumb quite yet and aren't above singing over birthday donuts to a one year old girl brought into this world as a result of their camp.


Eleven and one, both really great ages.


Tonight we did our family thing. Annie made the cake, everyone helped blow the candle, the only thing missing was our dad working in Germany.


How do you know when a child comes at the end of a long line of others? Wrapping paper is labeled a distraction, and never before seen, gently used "presents" come up from a u-haul storage box in the basement. Just as good in my opinion.


Get a load of the death grip on the head of that baby doll. There was no sharing going on there.


Happy June 26th! Certainly a special day for us.

2 comments:

  1. I had to chuckle at the box from the basement. Wrapping birthday presents is the very very very last thing on the list any more. We now have a birthday bag. I run to the cabinet, put present into bag, and hand it to child. The end. No muss, no fuss, and certainly no perfectly square corners and wonderfully poofy bows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to mention, i wasn't about to buy that girl one toy when there happens to be some pretty good fisher price stuff boxed up downstairs!

    ReplyDelete