"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Friday, July 2, 2010

Backyard plays

When we were kids, we used to love to put on plays for my parents. There was "The Diggingest Dog" rigged up in the bathtub with the shower curtain serving as theatre curtain. Everyone piled into the bathroom perching on sinks and toilet to watch. We did "Mother Gooses' Nursery Rhymes" on the front porch as Mom and Dad sat on the hill on top of very uncomfortable Blue Rug Junipers. And there was never one complaint -- just cheers and video camera and the thrill of having our parents' undivided attention. The world was our stage and our parents the adoring audience.


And so, I have a soft spot in my heart for hot summer nights and backyard pageantry.


And I have a HUGE soft spot for little brothers who fall victim to older sisters whims.


Those dark eye circles are actually stage makeup applied by the girls. I had to take a closer look too, because it sure surprised me and I thought there was something wrong with the boy. Grant's a versatile guy to be able to play the spider, a black sheep and Jack-be-nimble all in one show.




I sure hope one day they will all come back to my house, sit around my living room and pull out old videos of their shenanigans to laugh at and relive the good days. Because, they really are good days.


No comments:

Post a Comment