"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Family reunions



We've all been begging Mom and Dad for years to organize one and it takes so much more work than you would think. Convenient timing for nine families is a hard thing to pinpoint, especially as grandchildren grow into teenage years and camps, youth conferences and summer jobs set in robbing us of time all together. But do it we did, and though my youngest sister and her husband were sorely missed and my own oldest daughter wouldn't sacrifice her week at girl's camp to accompany me to Bear Lake, UT, our family gathered.


The best part about reuniting with the one's you love, is watching cousin relationships blossom. I have such fond memories of my own gatherings at the farm and nothing could have warmed my heart more than vicariously reliving those times watching my children with my siblings children.


I'll admit, I'm a bit partial to the girls. I love watching their party.




Most especially these two. Boy, are they a flashback to me and my favorite cousin carrying those babies around everywhere they went.



These two who cried at departure. Again, I was reminded of times I tied myself to my favorite cousin and declared us inseparable.


The babies. This one isn't really a baby anymore, but she touches all of the babies on the head so gently and I got a kick out of watching the "soon to be walking" babies come up to her and touch her gently whilst gibbering in falsetto as though she were one.



These three will be a trio of trouble one day.




Not forgetting the boys.








So much fun.


All made possible by this man -- who took his own self portrait.


Love to look back and remember and here's to hoping we'll get to do it again next year.


6 comments:

  1. Ok, I hate not knowing who's kids are whos! I recognize yours, and Erins, and I think Mark's younger boy, but who are all the rest?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And do you guys have a boat too? Or do you play at Bear Lake without?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just played at the lake -- no boat -- and took Mom's house apart. I'll post one putting families together so you can see who's is who's. It may be a bit ambiguous for privacy's sake and I wasn't able to get families to pose completely together. I had to take what I could get but I'm working on grouping them. We'll see ... bunch of uncooperative watsons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure miss my favorite cousin. Arms in the sleeves of each others coats - declaring ourselves inseparable. It makes me so sad that Leigh Ann has no girl cousins anywhere near her age. She tends to hang out with Cindy's boy who is about 3 years younger. :( Can we just HAVE Celia?????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marlowe--I actually have family pictures of each family. I have trained them that one night at our reunion we take family pictures (probably a few bribes along the way--heaven knows I bribe my own kids for it) and this year no one even questioned it. I hadn't thought about posting the other family pics on my blog--maybe I will in a couple of days. I'm going to try to put up some reunion pics in a few days too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, it just occurred to me that I'm a little envious of yours & Andra's "favorite cousin" experience. I think my favorite cousin experience actually left me a little emotionally scarred...

    ReplyDelete