"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Hail

Do you know how easy it is to let one hail storm destroy everything you've worked for?


How easy it would be to just throw in the towel and give up? Cry "this is too hard" to the skies and dwell on inadequacies?


Life is full of "hail" storms. They whisk in with no warning. No time to take cover. No holding back the damage. Sometimes they are mild and it's possible to push out new leaves in the next morning's sunshine. Sometimes they come in waves of increasing strength and strip what feels like all hope.


I can't count the number of nights I lay awake berating my actions, making mental lists of ways to do it all better. As a mother, there are times when I feel like saying "this row is too tough to hoe and I'm not a very good farmer." I can easily let the hail storms of my life overwhelm me, drown me and leave me feeling devoid of capability.


But failure is not an option. The sun does shine again tomorrow and new seeds get planted in fertile ground. I redouble my efforts, add hope and faith, and watch for new buds of ripening intent. A mother's job is to never give up but to continually nourish and strengthen her children, faithfully watching for darkening skies and standing by ready to plant once again.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my Hell Mar. Look at that garden!!! And CHICKENS! I mean, I know you're a country girl at heart -- but I thought maybe my couple of years with you took some of the country out of you! :)

    I might have to send my kids to live with you in the summers! Sure you don't want to just start a little summer camp there on the farm????

    ReplyDelete