"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Say Uncle

It seems like just yesterday that I was getting married to the next to the youngest. It felt odd to instantly become an aunt, to have children around me vying for my attention. I look at my youngest siblings (who, by the way, my children think hung the moon) and really just think I'm their age ... or at least I was once, what doesn't feel so long ago. I know my sister-in-laws down at the far end of the line must feel like there is a huge gap but I do look at them and see myself. A young girl, married into a big family full of instant nieces and nephews, feeling a little overwhelmed, doing my best to fit in. They do a good job and I sure do love the way they remind me of those early days of marriage. One of the best things about being the oldest in a family is getting to breathe in the youthfulness of younger sibs. It's a breath of fresh air.

There's nothing like fun aunts and uncles.










1 comment: