"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, July 5, 2010

Staycation

Love staycation days with our dad.


Today's entailed a trip to Colorado Spring's Cave of the Winds just south of our home.


Yes, we actually braved caving underground with all six children even though the tour guides warned all members of our group that touching the walls and ceilings of the caves would result in a $2500.00 fine and revocation of their licence for a year. Something about damaging the growth of the formations on the walls, blah, blah, blah. We gave our children strict instructions to keep their hands in their pockets. They had to work so hard to resist the urge. Celia thought it'd be funny just to hear them say "You'll never get a licence now."


The complete cave darkness at one point, was impressive.


It was a beautiful day for it. And then, we had to try our hand at screening for gold. I was carried back to the day I brought Newel to North Carolina and took him panning for rubies with my siblings. My sister and I played a trick on him making it look like she had found my engagement ring in her sifting screen downstream from where he and I were panning. So funny now and I'm still not quiet sure why he didn't think it was funny then.


That's right kids .. dig in there and find your college tuition.


I assured each of them that these beauties could most definitely, probably, likely be found in our own backyard. The rest of this week, I'm liable to find my backyard dug up but won't it be worth the peace I'll get from having my kids scouring for hours and staying silently out of my hair?


Looking forward to our next family adventure.


1 comment:

  1. Look at Celia in that first picture. She's totally rocking the skinny jeans and layers. And don't get me started on her windblown, no-fuss locks. Killer, I tell you. My hands are itching to snag my camera and capture her in front of a grungy cityscape. My mercy.

    ReplyDelete