"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Garage Sales

I have a love hate relationship with garage sales. You can find such good things ... but you drive around forever to find that one good thing. And sometimes, I end up taking something I don't need home and then standing there looking at my own pile of junk wondering why I thought I needed one more thing.

It also bugs the heck out of me when people try to capitalize on their junk. Your cleaning out your house for heavens sake and eliminating your garbage! What's with the mark up?

Take today for instance, with a few minutes to kill before picking up my girls from an activity, I chose to cruise the nearby neighborhoods to see what wares were being peddled on the curbs. Looking at a stack of books, I picked up one that I thought I'd like to add to my library collection at home -- if the price were right. I approached the garage saleswoman with visions of reading it perched in my rocking chair with my children gathered at my feet. "How much?" I asked with a dollar in hand. Marred, ear worn, and written in, it couldn't be but change. "One dollar" she says, taking the dollar out of my hand. Awkward moment, dollar relinquished, I headed back to my car and only started feeling robbed as I pulled away from the curb.

I hope it's a good book. I picked up my girls and happened to pass back by the same corner leading to the said garage sale. A family member now stood on the corner hefting a sign and calling out "Garage sale today -- Come this way!" I almost threw the book out the window at him. Just sayin'.

1 comment: