"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, August 23, 2010

Today


"Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth,

Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I have grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."


Ruth Hulbert Hamilton, 1958



I couldn't help myself today. House is quiet. Everyone's gone. Just me and her and a nice patch of sunlight. Her doll house and an easy smile. I put everything else aside.





If it were my season I would so go here. And since it's not quite yet, I content myself with a quick pick-me-up read here. These ladies are doing such an amazing job at encouraging women to magnify the only call to serve from which there is no finality. Motherhood.



4 comments:

  1. So tell me, does it work for you? I keep looking for the perfect method of organization and failing miserably.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't it be fun to go and find out? I think if would be nice to take a retreat at a fantastic resort with great gals. Be taken care of for awhile, come away with new ideas and rejuvenated spirit. I'm long over due.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful little girl!!! And I'm stealing that poem . . . Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should really plan to do a day or two of education week next year. That is exactly what I came away with (minus the fantastic resort). I don't know how it would work with the fair schedule, but we could leave all the kiddos here to run amok and go be rejuvinated! Only maybe it is not a great idea to go together. Never know what teacher we would choose to torture!

    ReplyDelete