"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fruit Granola

A breakfast favorite around here. I really need to make this in bulk quantities. There are a lot of ways to jazz this recipe up but I'm usually corner cutting and trying to make things simple.


  • 5 cups of oatmeal
  • 2 cups of coconut (I prefer unsweetened organic raw)
  • 1 cup of your favorite nuts
I put these in a bowl first. Then add:
  • 1/2 cup of oil (I use peanut simply because it's a less processed oil)
  • 2/3 cup of honey
  • 1 TBLS of cinnamon
Mix well and spread on a cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Stir and bake 5 more minutes until toasted.

Now, I've added raisins, cranberries (though most have sugars added), dried apples, banana chips etc, before toasting but I've found that the dried fruits get too toasty tasting. I stir in my dried fruits after I take the hot granola out of the oven. I found some great "just fruit" dried berries at our local natural grocers. If you are lucky enough to have a dehydrator, make your own to add in. As the tray cools, the granola dries nicely.

It's impossible to keep around for long.

2 comments:

  1. I love homemade granola! I used to make it a lot, but it just disappeared so quickly that I finally gave up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously! I'm going to make buckets of it one of these mornings while the kids are gone to school. Maybe if i store some it won't disappear so quickly!

    ReplyDelete