"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Mayonnaise

It's in a lot of stuff we eat. Deviled eggs, Cesar and ranch dressings, chicken and tuna fish salad, not to mention it's the "glue" that holds most sandwiches together. But what's in that store bought kind? Ever looked?


When I run out, I usually run to the store. But recent discovery has lead me to the realization that I can whip up a batch faster than I can load a baby in a car seat -- almost.

Give it a try!

Mayo from Scratch

2 egg yolks
2 TBLS vinegar or lemon juice
2 TBLS water
1 tsp honey
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
dash of pepper
1 cup of cooking oil (here I'm using peanut just for preference)

In a small saucepan, whisk together all but the oil. Cook on lowest heat setting so as not to scramble the eggs, stirring constantly until it bubbles around the edges of the pan. Remove from heat to cool for a minute and then pour into a blender. Blend while slowly adding the oil to whip (altering the amount of oil makes a lighter mayo but the consistency will be thinner). Put in a container and chill in the fridge.

It's that easy.

(Credit: This recipe was in a brochure by the American Egg Board that I received at the Denver Stock Show)

6 comments:

  1. I'm gonna try this!!! Can you believe I had NO idea you could make your own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Andra, you must have forgotten when our mother made mayo!!

    I didn't know there was a way to cook it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom was the best at taking things from the ground up. I remember standing in your kitchen in Iowa as she patiently explaining to you how to cut a whole fryer chicken into pieces for dinner, accompanied by your dismay. Then again .. Maybe it was Margaret but if I remember correctly she only spoke in Whiny's and Neigh's at that point in her life as she was aspiring to be a horse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to try this. I was freaked out by the fact that it's usually raw. (Or at least I think it is, maybe that's a misconception?) Was it you saying you couldn't make your own peanut butter? Cause peanut butter is even easier than this. Which is saying something cause this looks like a cinch. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not remember our mother making mayonaise. that is not saying much. Because I have almost no memory at all. I DO remember, however, swearing to never ever buy a whole chicken and then hack it apart with a knife. Ewwwwww
    As to margaret and her horsespeak. Yup, you are totally remembering correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to try this! Last time I made mayo the taste wasn't great and I was a little nervous about the eggs being raw. This looks like a much better recipe. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete