"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Don't forget.

There are a few things I really want to remember right now.

How Eliza's hand feels in mine as she practices walking across the kitchen with her awkward steps. She can barely make it with her face turned upward, looking so pleased at me.

That I can get motivation out of Christian so much better with a good talk and encouragement rather than a frustrated frown. He's such an intelligent guy. I want him to know that I value him.

How much Annie adores her school uniforms. I would never have guessed that there could have been so much decision making each day over how to pair plaid and polo. I'm glad she's pleased with her decision to attend a different school. I'm thankful that a problem she studied out in her mind has turned out to be the right answer for her.

That Janie needs a hug every day. She's got a self assured exterior but is really tender on the inside. She needs to know she's loved ... daily.

Grant's pleasure in simple things. Like pajama's, hot baths, a good scare. He's got the most creative thinking going on all of the time and when it comes out of his mouth, I just get a kick out of his ideas.

And how easily Celia opened up and just sat and talked with my mom when she and my father dropped in to spend the night on their way east this week.

I remember my dad saying to me that what makes a good friend is one who can really listen. My mom has always been so good at that. She puts it all down and as long as you require her time, her full focus is on what you have to say. All of my little people could talk to her for hours and she would just let them and show interest in their every word. It's always been that way.

I want to be more like that.

It bears reminding to set it all aside, put down the list in my head, stop watching the clock or thinking of what I've got to do next. To soak in each second, to take advantage of every moment, to never let an opportunity pass me by.


Reminder to self: Don't forget.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! Just the reminder I needed today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this why we blog? To remember! Sweet!

    ReplyDelete