"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, September 27, 2010

White Fence Farms

Our weekends used to feel so crowded with stuff. Sometimes they still are but I sure do love it when we get to fill them with family outings of our choosing instead.

This is one of our favorite places in Denver. With it's beautiful gift shop barn, live ongoing entertainment, "pig chute" slide from the top of the silo for the kids, carriage museum and rides, country grounds with peacocks and tire swing, all for the price of a fantastic family style chicken dinner -- White Fence Farms in Lakewood makes for a fun fall afternoon. It takes me back to my childhood in North Carolina as its similarities are uncanny.


Their gift shop is what they call a beam and peg construction -- not a nail in sight. It's breathtaking and its contents are dizzying.


Nickle candies, crafts on every surface. My favorite is the Christmas room. The sights and smells just speak to me. Eliza's expression mimics my every feeling:




Lots of areas to play, a duck pond, and my kids are dying for a tree house like this one:




We indulged in their dinner and because we have done so well on our natural dietary changes, we didn't feel a moment's guilt over their corn "critters" (Thanks for the laugh, Grant. Though we know they're fritters, they do look like critters!)



More cute shops in the back, Grandma's pantry and a music store.


And a petting zoo where one lucky goat thought he'd found a mound of straw.


I love a Saturday of porch rocking chairs, fall air and memories both old and new. It's time well spent.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great place! I'll have to remember that. I love the pic of the kids as farm animals and also the one of the goat attacking Eliza! Cute!! Oh and the one with Newell and Eliza. You're a really good photographer!

    ReplyDelete