"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Friday, November 12, 2010

Because I know it won't always be like this...

I don't really know how one child can possibly make such an explosion every time he eats. I expect it under a certain age but teenage hood? The trail of bread crumbs all over the house even though he's followed the rules to only eat in the kitchen, is jaw droppingly incredible.

If I want to vacuum, I have to start in the opposite direction from where I actually want to be and then fake the baby out in order to actually get the job done. Vacuuming is that exciting.

My sense of smell is seriously out of whack. You'd almost have to hit me in the face with a stinky diaper anymore. Six kids later, the cilia on the inside of my nose are just burned. However, I can easily tell the difference between a quick mouthwash mint and an actual tooth brushing mint. And ... I almost always suspect I smell stuff burning.

I don't freak out over poop in the tub any more. It's just a given. Surely that's what disinfectant wipes were made for. Everybody out, water down the drain, paper cups for scooping from tub to toilet, quick rinse, wipe down with wipes, refill, everybody back in. See? Whatever. Poop happens.

I have moments that I want to freeze and keep in my mind forever. I know there will be a time when I'll long for them yet not be able to remember as well as I'd like. Last night, was one of those. Homework was finished so the kids loaded into snow gear and headed out into the dark for some sledding. They put the baby in her suit too, and excitedly took her out for a spin. The house was warm from the fire burning in the fireplace and smelled of crock pot chili waiting for our dad to come home. All was suddenly silent in the house except for the distant sound of outside laughter. I sat on the edge of the kitchen table with my face pressed against the window for the longest time wishing to just hold this. Then I ran to get my camera and attempt to do so.




Not great (so pardon the blur) because I didn't want to over think it but rather soak it all in. Celia holding Eliza waiting their turn, Janie and Grant on the sled together, Christian teaching Annie to snowboard.

I just don't want to forget that it won't always be like this.

1 comment:

  1. The days are sometimes long, but my the years are short!!

    ReplyDelete