"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Friday, October 15, 2010

We love Halloween

It's a year round obsession here. Most commonly heard on any Saturday morning is "What should we do today?" answered by "Let's turn the basement into a haunted house."

If I remember correctly, I think my children were discussing costumes as we were buying pencil boxes in September. Maybe it eases the pain of school starting. I don't pay attention to such banter because those decisions endlessly change until midnight on the 30th (or in this year's case, the 29th).

Nothing thrills my kids more than a trip to the Halloween store. Does it concern me that they get such a kick out of the frightfully scary and gross? A little. I do worry that they are all serial killers at heart and that I should be sleeping with one eye open.

I, on the other hand, love fall. I so miss the bright colors of the NC hills this time of year but still revel in the seasonal change. Fall is full of memories. I remember going with my mother to various fall festivals to look at crafts for great ideas in homemade holiday gift making. She could recreate anything.

Halloween comes and goes so quickly and with Christmas on it's heels, I've never sunk much cash into fall decorations. Most of what we have is homemade simply because I saw it somewhere and thought it cute enough to be recreated. These few touches coupled with an apple pie spice candle burning in my kitchen and some branches of dried colorful leaves stuck in with my plants, just make the season cosy.

A few of my favorites:


These guys across my fireplace mantle. My girls made them at a church activity out of craft sticks and ripped linen. I think I need an entire family of them.


I get reeled in by the sights and smells of Jo-Ann's Fabrics every time I go through their doors. I love their holiday pillows so I grabbed some really cheap felt and used left over batting from my basement to make some for my couches and chairs.

And our favorite accessory:


I saw these cute holiday "pillowcase" dresses at a boutique this week. Just had to whip up a few. I'll post more on them later but man alive, she adds the most festive touch to our family. The girls proclaimed her the "greatest toy ever" last night. She's sure making their halloween fun.

1 comment:

  1. That dress is adorable!! I'm so making one of those!

    ReplyDelete