"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, October 7, 2010

What's been keeping me busy lately?

We are volunteer-ers.

Well, actually, I usually just get volunteered.

I've been wanting to teach my oldest daughter to sew.

It's been in my head a long time.

Just not on my calender.

I've tried in the past but when I started, all of my girls wanted to learn and that became chaotic because the younger ones are more challenged and needy than the older.

I'm aware that doesn't sound very nice ... but it's still true.

So, inside, I was at least a little glad when she volunteered me to teach her group of girls at church to sew skirts. Easy enough (0r so I thought).

Four weeks of sewing and sewing and sewing lessons, all of these girls (and those not pictured) successfully had a skirt to wear for their "Modesty Fashion Show" held last night.


The older girls were makeup artists. Some really talented mom's did fabulous hair.

On the way home all she could say over and over again was how pretty she felt and how good it was to have great friends say so.

Does this mean I'm usually too busy helping others to tell my oldest daughter how beautiful she is to me?

Probably.



I'm so glad these girls know exactly what it takes to be beautiful inside and out.


They put in a lot of hard work and did an amazing job. It was fun, even though I had that frustrated moment when that one tossed her skirt at me mid-construction and announced she was "so over this".



Would I do it again?

You bet.

Last night, as I lay in the dark drifting to sleep in anticipation of a free-er schedule for the next little bit, the man beside me decided it was a good time to speak up.

And inform me that while I was taking pictures of these pretty girls, he volunteered my yard to the scouts for a camp out next weekend.

And volunteered my dining room and cooking skills to the EQ for a dinner party then as well.

I closed my eyes and went to sleep.

Because apparently, there is no rest for the wicked.

And I've got a long way to go.

5 comments:

  1. Technically is called chosen-teered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yeah, that's it. But I really don't mind being "chosen-teered" either :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow--great skirts!

    I did pioneer bonnets with the YW one year. that was an experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were so excited with the final product which really did make it all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed with your sewing skill! Could you please come and teach me how to use my machine?? I would love to make a skirt like these...they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete