"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, October 25, 2010

Whole wheat honey brownies with maple walnut ice cream

This is the week of sugar overload. It's hard to ignore.

I'm aware that as far as the glycemic index goes (and carbohydrate, for that matter) honey is not all that much better than sugar. But it does cut out the refined part. For kids that were once addicted to those Little Debbie brownies, this makes a family night treat that they claim is so close, there's hardly a difference. And they are my toughest critics.


Honey/Whole Wheat Brownies

Taking a hint from blender pancakes, combine in a blender:

1 cup of whole wheat kernel
1 cup of milk

Blend until really smooth. I usually hear a change in the labor of the blender indicating I've ground those wheat berries to bits. The longer I blend, the less wheat germ or hull will be detected in the brownie itself.

Add while the blender is running:

2 eggs
1/3 cup of cocoa powder (dutch chocolate from the health food store has the most nutritional value)
3/4 cup of honey

I continue to let the blender run with all of this as I melt a stick of butter.

Add the melted stick of butter
1 tsp of vanilla
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of baking powder

Turn off the blender and let it rest for just a second while preparing the baking dish. I pour the batter into a greased and floured (yes, I use a scant portion of white flour here because I'd rather not use whatever is in that non-stick spray) 9x13 glass pan. For thicker brownies, make in an 8x8.

Bake 350 for 30 to 35 minutes until done in the center. Baking times may vary per oven.

Cool completely before cutting. They are great immediately but my kids say they are better (more densely fudge-y) on the second day wrapped up in their lunches. Could just be the joy of having a treat in their lunch, though.

Maple Walnut Ice Cream

I have an ice cream churn with a freezer bowl. You can find making ice cream without a churn here.

For the ice cream, I put everything together in a blender first:

2 cups of cream
1 cup of milk
3/4 cup of 100% real maple syrup
1 tsp of vanilla
1 cup of walnuts

Quick blend until the nuts are broken up to the consistency I want and to infuse the ice cream mix with that nutty flavor. Be very careful not to blend the mix to butter. Pour into the frozen ice cream bowl and I start my churn.

We serve the ice cream on still warm brownies.

Okay, not low fat, not low carb, not sweet free, but all natural ingredients and completely organic.

Credit: Me. I worked this recipe a dozen different ways over the last two weeks until my kids gave it a thumbs up. Brownies are a staple. And thanks Meg, for the whole blender idea.


1 comment: