"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Whole Wheat Pancakes

Okay, everyone has bookoos of wheat sitting around in cans in their basement, am I right? ... No?? ... You mean it's just me?

Well, alright then.

Here's what the kids here are eating for breakfast these days. My sister gave me this recipe. I'm sure it's not new on the Utah scene but it's new to me and we are loving it.


100% Whole Wheat Blender Pancakes

1 Cup of Wheat kernel (hard winter white is great, but red is also very good)
1 cup of milk

Throw this in the blender and blend. I find that the longer I let this blend (about 3 to 5 minutes), the finer it becomes to where I can't even detect any wheat germ hull.

Add while blending:

3 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbls. honey
1/2 cup oil
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda

I let everything through the oil blend a bit so it's really smooth and then the last couple of seconds I add the soda and powder. I turn it off to rest while the griddle heats. This lets the powder and soda activate.

They are so good and I've been serving them with peaches I cut up and heat on the stove with a little honey to make a compote. You can use any fruit in season, or jam, or honey, or real maple syrup.

If you don't have wheat holding up one of the walls of your basement, you can pick up a small bag of it at your local Vitamin Cottage, Natural Grocers for about $1.50 a bag.

Start those kid's day off with a breakfast that's got stick-to-ative-ness! (I'm aware that might not even be a word)

No comments:

Post a Comment