"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, November 8, 2010

Feeling Saucy

With apples to make into apple sauce and apple butter, I borrowed a friends grinder. I laughed when she took it out of her car to lend it to me for it looked as though she had borrowed it from my own mother's kitchen. The box was taped in all the same places, tattered, torn and faded. I was immediately back in a hot kitchen with too little room and too many children all vying for a chance to turn the grinder making tomato or apple sauces. Mom doing the boiling and Dad supervising the crank, I gladly flew under the radar. In that time of life, I did not want to get sucked into the helping.

Now, here I am doing my own and it was so much more fun than I remembered. And I do love that we have a dad who was so involved, he was like a kid himself.




4 comments:

  1. Is that *gasp* Newell????? In the *ullp* kitchen??? I feel as if I have stepped into an alternate universe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love making applesauce--there's just something so satisfying about it...and it's the best when you have free apples!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know .. weird huh? He really was like one of the kids, pushing for a turn, causing trouble, taking over, bossing everyone ... and having fun doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Question for ya . . . do you EVER sleep???? I love your blog girl!

    ReplyDelete