"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Rolling out the red carpet .. winter's here

Just like that ... move over fall, winter wants a turn.


Last year, Eliza was in a baby seat oblivious to most of the world. But boy, was last night exciting. For her, for the kids coming off the bus, for our dad coming home early to a fire in the fireplace and the smell of pumpkin bread in the oven. The first snowfall is pretty magical and one of our favorite times of the year. But ask me if I still feel that way in March.


Last night's beginnings


This morning, she was like a shnotty princess on a pony and I dreaded the coming of the bus and loss of free entertainment.





That "why did you stop us for a photo" blank stare was accompanied by "get a move on" grunts.


This is how he wanted to go to school. I don't know how I talked him into leaving the helmet and goggles behind.


Winter chores are only fun on the first snow. After that there's a whole lot of paper, rock, scissors to see who has to go. And I always love the free loaders waiting around the back of the coop.


A hot chocolate to warm up, surprisingly on time to the school bus, and the little one down for her first nap by 9. A perfect morning, I think.

Welcome winter. I'm sure you'll hang your hat and stay awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment