"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, March 3, 2011

More Birthday Fun

I'm terrible at throwing birthday parties.  I mean, I used to be great at it, until I got out-numbered and run ragged peppering birthday shin-digs between big holiday shah-bangs.  I came up for air just long enough to declare we would only have parties on even years and dove back down again.  Each birthday celebration just seemed to have a need to be bigger than the last and little folks kept adding on to our numbers.  So the next time I surfaced for air, I decided to stay on the shore. Party smarty -- who needs a dozen disposable birthday gifts from your best-ies, anyway? Besides, if you ask me, you weren't even altogether with it on the day you were born ... trust me, I was there.  So really, it was just the best day ever for me so you get to celebrate with just me whether you like it or not.  And by the way .. Happy Birthday! 


Now what can I do to make you feel special?


We took Celia out for Hibachi.  None of the kids had ever even heard of such a thing and had no idea what they were in for.  It turned out to be better than a mini-vaca.  They're still talking about it and my oldest boy has been practicing knife juggling when I'm not looking, despite my frowny scowl in his direction.

I have locked down all matches.
The fire and knives weren't really Eliza's thing.

But these guys ... they could have tucked that hibachi chef right into their little pockets and taken him home with us.


I also don't wrap the gifts.  I used to love them all pretty, perfectly taped and bowed until that day I allowed an expectant sibling the privilege and observed the rapture of present wrapping for someone you adore.  Now I look at that pile of wrinkled, creased, sideways taped presents with an adoration all my own.


I also hold a special place in my heart for sisters who hand make secret gifts to give and savor each moment until the time is right.



Happy Birthday, Celia.  I hope the greatest gift is the memory of the ongoing party right where you are, in our home and in our lives.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome party to me! Love the pic of Janie about to catch the food in her mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will take the kids to someplace like this too. Although I will also have to hide knives and matches from them! For some reason I told me kids that I would throw them 1 birthday party...like, ever....and they believed me! Our birthday tradition is that the family spends it together, we eat out or I make their choice of meal - we used to also let them pick an activity like going to a movie theater - but that has gotten pretty expensive - so now they get to pick out the Red Box movie! Three of the six have had their official one time "birthday" party...so I only have 3 more to go!

    ReplyDelete