"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, April 28, 2011

April 28th -- A good day to turn 11




Did I fail to mention it's birthday week?  Three in one actually so we're not done yet. I really tried to have these girls on my birthday two days from now, simply so we could all forget it was my birthday and just celebrate them.  I blew it.  Now we just eat lots of cake the last week of April and walk away looking for our fat pants.


My mother says that families with birthdays clumped together can be very telling. Like her long, cold winters resulting in our family's shlew of July birthdays.  I guess my summer's end was riddled with grand finales.  You might not want to think too hard on that.


11 reasons why Annie is the grandest of the grand:


1.  Her laughter.


2.  Her creativity.  This girl is the Macgyver of art.  She can make something beautiful out of a paperclip, Q-tip, and piece of string.


3.  She's the bestest frienemy in the entire world.


4.  She can slam a door like she means it.


5.  Annie looks around her to fill other's needs.  There's no asking.  She just sees what needs to be done and goes for it.


6.  Her mothering skills far surpass her years.  When I'm feeling like I'm not sure why I'm trying so hard, a comment like "I can't wait to be a mom like you someday!" puts the wind back in my sails.


7.  Annie is a helper.  What she wouldn't give for ten minutes in the kitchen alone just helping with anything I need.  It swells my heart every time.


8.  That girl can share.  And share everything she does.


9.  I love her tender care and concern for her sisters.  She is their second mother and loves them like none other.  I love how she gathers them around her and tucks them under her wings protectively.  


10.  Her imagination is infectious.  It all starts with a story, and then throw in some props and next thing you know, we're all involved in a play of her creation.


11. Could I ask for a more beautiful girl inside and out?  She's dedicated to the important things in life.  Family, learning and making the world a brighter place.






It's certainly brighter for me because you are a part of my life.  Happy birthday, Annie!  I'll always be grateful that you made the opportunity to be your mother so full of love, light and laughter.

4 comments:

  1. She looks so much like Newell. Is she still dancing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this is too funny! Janie sounded a lot like my L-girl who just turned 9 - in April. Now, Annie sounds just like my A-girl who just turned 11 - in April. S-Girl turned 4 in April too....my family has a joke about the 4th of July and Rainman and I setting off our own personal fireworks! Happy Birthday, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your April sounds like our August--5 birthdays in 1 month, all 6 birthdays in 6 weeks. (But there was that whole triplet preemie thing that is a little deceptive...)

    ReplyDelete