"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, April 11, 2011

Change is good .... right?

It's been an emotional weekend.  For several years now, I've presided over our ward's primary.  This weekend, I joined the new stake primary presidency.  We'll be laying the foundation for a new stake primary following our recent split and creation.  Change is always exciting but my heart truly lies in laying the foundation directly with the children of our faith.  I love nothing more than to know and to teach them.  I've felt this weekend, as though someone hit the red emergency stop button on the treadmill I was running on and I fell off scraping my knees.


There are those who have no clue what I'm talking about, so I'll move on.  I just wanted to note my feelings briefly.


And give a bedroom update:


My children leave in different shifts in the morning.  Middle school out the door by 6:50.  My charter school girl, 7:30.  Elementaries, 8:45.  Friday, following the middle school departure, I made a trip up the stairs, passed Christian's room and sighed as I saw the unmade bed and dropped clothing, the result of an alarm not going off and a really rushed exit.


Frustration gripped me as I envisioned another journey to the school to pull him and bring him home to complete his morning tasks making me a mom of her word.


Back in the kitchen, I fumed my frustrations in my head as I slammed sandwiches together for the elementary crowd.  Grant ran by in a towel from my bathroom, headed upstairs to the room he shares with Christian to get ready for the day.


Still packing lunches, I listened to the upstairs shufflings and mentally rearranged my morning around retrieval.   I called up the stairs notifying of time to go and Grant emerged dressed and brushed with socks in hand.  "Mom" he said, "I know Christian didn't want you to go get him out of school today and you probably didn't want to go get him, so I made his bed for him."


Sure enough, there were two neatly made beds.  And what do you do with that?


My feelings and emotions already being sentimentally on edge, I couldn't help but be reminded of our Savior.  We make mistakes, life gets busy, we fall short and through His atonement, He says, "Hey, let me make your bed for you today."


I'm going to stop there because today, I'm still trying to gather myself.  But this Sunday, being my last opportunity to teach the children of our ward, and the theme being the atonement, I think I will leave them with this thought.


And then, I'll look forward to what comes next.

7 comments:

  1. I love that. Sometimes they teach us so perfectly. Good luck with your new adventure.
    -E-

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a sweet story. I was released recently too and I am still not over it. Change IS good though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new calling! You will be great. If it makes you feel any better - when they released me as Young Women's President I could not even walk down that hallway for 3 months. It just hurt too darned bad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know some of what you're going through. 6 months ago I was released (from a calling I hated) and called to the stake RS. It is a weird calling to me--I'm not quite sure I'm actually making a difference most of the time, and it's certainly not down in the trenches like primary on a ward level is. I console myself by telling myself that this is also a necessary part of the Lord's organization....

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet thing Grant did for his brother. I like to think that one of my kids would do that for the other - but I am not sure I can say that with a straight face!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are few things I love more than seeing siblings look out for each other!! What a perfect story to share with your primary kids! xo

    ReplyDelete