"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, May 2, 2011

Birthdays by the numbers

I severely dislike the defining aspect of numbers.  For that very reason, I've not stepped on a scale in years to allow a number to define how I will feel about myself today.  


What's your dress, pants, shoe size?
What's your brazier, bra ... ugg ... let's use slingshot ... size?
What's your SAT/ACT score"
What's your I.Q?
How many kids do you have?  Too many?  Too few?
How much did that house cost you?
Why, you're income must be this or that...
Does it really matter?


Saturday, I turned somewhere between the age of:


Old enough to get my ears pierced
Old enough to date
Old enough to drive
Old enough to vote
Old enough to get married
Old enough to have six children
Too old to have more in the eyes of some.
Old enough to start talking mammograms and calcium intake.
Old enough not to be offended by much anymore.


So what's in a number?  I don't even know.  I quit counting long ago and would have to do some serious calculations while the waiting party ... waited.  And I'm not sure I'd come up with the right number the first couple of tries.  Just be as young as you feel.


We'll just say somewhere between a royal wedding and a terrorist's demise ... I felt celebrated, too.



Breakfast in bed by these guys.



A birthday wake up song that started my day with a smile.


And a tolerant man who took me on a test drive of lenses at the camera store.  Does that look say, "Have you found the one you want ... yet?" or maybe "This woman and her hobbies are turning me into a poor man."

Happy birthday to me, regardless of the numbers.


7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! A couple of months ago I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how old I was...seriously took that long. And it wasn't until later that I realized I just could have done the math with my birth year....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I wish I was that good about numbers. I need to de-number my mind. What a great thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small sidenote comment: Should I be offended that my "verification" word to post the above was "LAMER"???? How'd it know I was having a big "0" birthday this year??????

    OUCH!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always have a good laugh at those verification words! I've gotten a few I would consider risque and had a good snicker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday! I love your comment that you are "too old to have "more" in some people's minds". I feel that too - too old in everyone else's mind - but mine! Oh, and by the way, you hubby looks like Glenn Beck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your birthday was awesome Marlowe!

    ReplyDelete