"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, May 23, 2011

My first field trip

When I was in middle school, our class took a field trip to the Biltmore House in Asheville, North Carolina.  I was anxious for my mother to experience it's fairytale majesty and begged her to chaperone.  


She did.


It wasn't until recently, that I've thought on the importance of that trip.  What it must have taken for her to arrange the schedules of eight other children to take a trip with me that would return well into the evening.  How it must have been to ride a school bus as a grown up, all that way and back again.  How it felt to be surrounded by eye rolling teenagers and try to elicit conversation from me and my friends.



I've always had a sibling at home and a hard working husband whose schedule never affording me a chance to chaperone a field trip.  So, when Celia came home waving her trip to the zoo and a friend offered to take Eliza anytime, I seized the opportunity, realizing my last chance with this one had come and high school would probably include far fewer chances.


 

See that look begging me to bag the camera?

And now I know, Mom, what that feels like.  More importantly, it means so much to me that you willingly spent all your time on your children.  One day, I hope she'll look back on our time together and feel the same way I do now.  I'm just grateful she gave me the opportunity to tag along in her world for a day.       

No comments:

Post a Comment