"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dear Celia,

Whirl wind couple of weeks, huh?  Braces off, a week at girl's camp, and then today, flying off to Especially for Youth (EFY) at BYU less than twelve hours from your camp return.


We really missed you last week and will miss you this week even more.  Dad and I noted that usually when one person in a family is missing, everything seems a lot quieter.  Sadly ... you're not that person because it was not quieter without you.  It was, however, harder to survive each day without my right hand gal.


I hope your first solo flight on an airplane was exciting.  I could see the thrill of freedom written all over your face tonight.  Thanks for not getting frustrated with me as I nervously instructed you again, how to navigate the airport.  And thanks for not minding that I followed as far as security would let me go without a boarding pass.  And thanks for not being embarrassed when I called your name and blew a kiss as you disappeared to your gate.


Want to know something silly and motherly?  I cried all the way to Pena Boulevard.  Can you believe that?  As I watched you get lost in the crowd with your suitcase in hand, you were tall and beautiful and strikingly grown up and my heart nearly froze that in four short years, you'll fill a suitcase and leave us a little more permanently. "Too soon, it's too soon," my heart cried, "I won't be able to do this." and then I barely had time to escape to the car before the tidal wave if emotion hit me broadside.


Worse -- Uncle Joseph called my cellphone as I drove blurry visioned down the freeway.  He was full of stories about his one week old daughter and I blubbered at him to kiss her tons today because tomorrow he'd watch her get on an airplane full of confidence and poise and grace and be on her way to living a life all her own.  I'll bet he was confused.  I'll bet he wished he hadn't called.


I hope you have the time of your life this week, soaking in the spiritual messages from the classes you'll attend, enjoying the new friendships you'll make with other great youth, not to mention all the fun and excitement of staying on a college campus without a mom looking over your shoulder to make sure you are okay.


I want you to know, I think you are an amazing young woman.  Every moment as your mother, past and future, is priceless to me.  You have so many exciting times ahead of you in these next few years and it makes me glad to see that you are able to meet each experience head on, ready to tackle whatever comes next.  So ... pay no attention to my tearful rant ...  I'm proud of you, gal, and I wouldn't have it any other way.


I love you and miss you and I hope I can stand hearing, "Is that Celia's airplane?" every time one passes overhead for an entire week!  Just know that we are thinking of you always.


Remember who you are and what you stand for.  All of my love,


Mom


2 comments:

  1. Oh, Marlowe! I feel your pain. Something just seems wrong when all 6 aren't here! My oldest did a college tour thingie for a program where he would go to college starting in 2 years....actually live there - not just get college credits. I thought I was going to end up balling right there in the cool recreation building with the rock wall! I just cannot imagine it. I am proud that we are raising him to be confident, self-sufficient and nice....but I want to keep him around a lot longer! Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blog... and beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete