"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dinner Etiquette

My father would take advantage of family dinners to teach us proper table etiquette.  We were a rough lot.  I can recall his demonstrations of how to properly hold a fork and knife, put a napkin in a lap, and the peals of laughter as we mocked his anti-soup slurping skills.  "Don't sing at  the table," he'd say, so we'd ask "please pass the salt" in a sing-song manner just to rile.


Though I have, as of yet, perhaps failed at the proper management of a knife and fork with this one, the pile of helmets to his right and the circle of fellows to his left tell me that he gets one thing.




"No helmets at the table, Mom" says he when I asked.


At least Darth and his friends aren't as rough a lot as we were.

1 comment:

  1. This hits home to me - I'm starting to teach table manners with my oldest and finding myself reminding my husband on the proper holding of a fork...

    ReplyDelete