"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Naturalist



This is my nature girl.  Annie and I love to take in the beauty around us, where ever we are.  This place makes it easy.  



When I was a teenager, I took a school trip to an undeveloped beach where sand dollars were plentiful.  I collected an entire box.  Heading off to college, my mother was helping me dispose of stuff neither of us really wanted to store.  We took my box of sand dollars down to the beach.  Mom and I periodically took a perfect sand dollar and setting it in the ocean's edge, high tailed it back to our beach chairs to watch the show.  Unsuspecting combers would meander by, discover our treasure, and after excited examination, b-line up the coast to wave their find at family and friends.  It was a box-load of entertainment.

When Annie and I, beach combers extraordinaire, discovered our whole sand dollar in an evening tide pool -- a rare find on this beach -- you can bet I took a good look around for a planter in a chair privately enjoying the joke of making a vacationer's dreams come true.

Our finding made legitimate, we poured over it's perfection.  She's a girl after my own heart and in awe of each creation.   







1 comment:

  1. I love nature too, and at the beach more than anywhere else! If your kids want to see some cool beach stuff, you should check out my old blog post-- http://beingwatson.blogspot.com/2008/07/holden-beach-fun.html

    ReplyDelete