"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, June 23, 2011

This

There are always too many vacation photos but never too many vacation memories.  Three week vacation and I'm loaded up with both.



Humidity hair.


Annie's fish and shrimp.  She's not squeamish at all.


Crabbing off the dock with dad.  One got loose and made Eliza scramble.


He cooks what we catch.



Teenage-ness setting in.  We teased her that if someone drowned, we'd make her wake up and save them since she was donning a lifeguard shirt and all.  She doesn't think we're funny anymore.  I remember the year I stopped thinking my parents were funny.



Body board wars with Dad.




And brotherly drownings.


Eliza's new favorite phrase, "I be right back!"  But she'd haul us out to the water's edge, then run back up the sand for a bucket, get distracted and not come back.  This is Celia turning the tables.



Sandcastle making.  Dad's are the best.  This one is home to Eliza's "sish".


Grant's "all you can eat" seafood buffet...


washed down by Mom's specialty drinks after a long day at the beach.



Early morning sisterly entertainment so that Moms and Dads can sleep in for a change.


A sneaky peak at sisterly evening entertainment so that Moms and Dads can go to bed early for a change. 


Last year, I stood with my father on the ocean front in pretty much the same spot that we set up camp every time we came to the beach as a family when I was a child and he said to me "This is where we raised a family."

A year later, I think about "this" and he is right.  Not this vacation spot, not even this beach but these moments, the ones where we put away the busyness of life that calls our attention from just enjoying being together  --- "this" is where we raise our families.



4 comments:

  1. I grade our vactions by how great the pictures are. The only time I'm relaxed is on trips with my kids so those are the best times for sure. Great pictures. Great memories. Great vacation. Good job M. Loves, S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it does take getting away to realize, "wouldn't it be great if every day could be like this??" Thanks for your sweet comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marlowe,
    Lynette and I love your posts and these beautiful pictures of the Carolina beaches. These bring back fond memories of me. Each year from age 5 - 12, I spent a few weeks each summer on these beaches. Heat, humidity, waves, fun, shrimp, Krispy Kreme (the originals), and WONDERFUL family memories. Thanks for taking me back!!

    -Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave and Lynette, so good to hear from you! We ate our combined weight in original Krispy Kremes, and that's daily. You can't go there without doing so, I think.

    We miss you guys -- time for a summer visit!?!

    ReplyDelete