"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, July 14, 2011

While you were in Taiwan

Our dad gets to travel internationally for work to some pretty awesome places.  I know his trips are full of great experiences but during the summer, I'm always sorry he misses some of the great experiences going on right here at home. 


Like late night treat making and card games.




The daddy/daughter luau church activity where Christian stepped in as a substitute dad.




Annie's long awaited summer girl party (which I know you're heartbroken to have missed :)  She worked so hard to earn enough money to finance the entire shindig.  Pizza, flip flop craft, game prizes and all.  It was the least I could do to help her organize a treasure hunt for her friends ... as long as younger siblings were kindly included, of course.














Christian missed your help putting in the garden.






And no summer would be complete without an afternoon of costume making, makeup and set design with an evening backyard play... 






Until our cat crashed and burned.  I spared you the crescendo but the show must go on and go on it did ... much to my stifled laughter and the patience of some really great sisters.


It's in these moments that we really miss you.

4 comments:

  1. One day I am going to visit you and I might even move in next door. I am so jealous that you have a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *always* feel so bad for Russ that he misses out on so much great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so much to comment on....first did you have to "make" Christian be the substitute Dad? Either way, what a great guy for stepping in! Are those balloons on the flip flops? What is happening in the Mentos...the freshmaker...pose? Seems like there has to be a story. I love the backyard play. The kids have talked about doing one - but haven't followed through. Poor little Eliza kitty! Liza! Liza! Liza! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kayla,
    Funny story there. Last year, my husband was in India for the father/daughter and he graciously volunteered. This year, Annie needed him again and emphasized how great it was last year with him last time. I sat back to watch this play out and said nothing. He dug in his heels and said, "Nothing could make him go this year." She turned to begging and added that this year there would be a water balloon toss and he immediately said, "Nothing could keep me away this year." He's a good sport.

    And yes, those are water balloon flip flops. She washed my cars for weeks to get enough money for a trip to the dollar store for their cheapie flops and water balloons. The are just tied on. The girls enjoyed making them! ... Grant wanted a pair too but I had to draw the line. I didn't want Newel to return to boys in water balloon flip flops. Not sure how that would be received.

    ReplyDelete