"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Fading

I can feel summer's magic fading.  

Celia is into week two of early morning seminary.  It's a scripture study class our church holds daily before school begins.  Our days commence at 5:30am and I get up with her to warm her morning with hot breakfast and a mom made lunch.

Inch by inch, minute by minute, I see we are no longer getting up with the sun.  I'm a solar battery and fall's creeping effects are hard to ward off.

Annie has brought home our first "welcome back to school" cough and cold.  It's spreading amongst the troops.

Backing up our lax summer bedtime routine has been like moving a mountain.  The same goes for waking overly tired children.

The cooler nighttime brings the garden green to yellowish hues.

In the stillness that is Eliza's nap time, I can see that the carpets now free of running bare feet are in desperate need of cleaning.

And just like that ... the enchantment dissolves. 









2 comments:

  1. I struggle with this Every Single Year. And I salute all moms who get up with their seminary kids...thankfully my kids have a dad who can do it without dying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so with you on being a solar battery. This morning it was still dark when we're supposed to go for our morning walk. I sat down on the couch with Jess and said, "Marlowe says she's a solar battery and fall's creeping effects are hard to ward off." "Yeah," he said bleakly. We're feeling it. Love the nostalgic pics of summer kids.
    -E-

    ReplyDelete